Friday, April 19, 2013

Chickens...

I know, I know... I haven't said anything in quite some time.

Living on a hill in NorCal is a beautiful thing.  I have a great view, the air is clean, the chickens are clucking, and everyone is friendly here.  We are trying to make a name for ourselves here.  I got my seller's permit in California and I am working on getting the Mendocino County Farmer's Market application approved so I can start vending my wares.  I did sell some stuff to a store in town here, but most want me to come back in summer or fall.  Spring is apparently not a busy time for them.  We are right off the 101, so it's a fairly touristy area from what I understand.

The trip out here was epic.  It took 3 weeks, including a week of being stuck in Oklahoma.  We had our ups and downs, but the day we made it to California was magical.  I remember Roger and I played every California song we had on our ipods as we approached the border.  We were thrilled to finally be there, and less than an hour to our first California destination.

The destination was Grass Valley.  It was really pretty area in the Foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range.  It was nice being there and visiting with an old friend from high school, but we were very isolated and had nothing to do.  We took a one day trip across the state to see a few of Mark's friends and fell in love with the area and the idea of having work and friends nearby, so about a week later we moved.

We now live in a smallish town about an hour inland from Ft. Bragg.  We still haven't made it to the coast yet, but soon.  I want to see some sea-lions dammit!  Regardless, we are happy where we are, the boys are working and I am beginning to vend at the Mendocino County Farmer's markets, as well as selling some of my stuff to shops in town.

The property we live on is 80 acres and has amazing views.  There are 2 dogs, 2 chickens, and a 72 year old, Romanian, retired ship captain, care-taker that live here as well.  The care-taker has re-named Mark to "El Greco" and I think I like that much more than "Overboard", so we're going to try to make it stick.

So anyway, there is work to be done... sorting trash for recycling.  Until next time my friends, Lovin you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave me a comment, if you don't see it right away then I am not in a location with service.