Saturday, December 14, 2013

I wish I would have written sooner.

This year has been THE adventure to say the least.  I started off the year in Florida, quitting my job of 11 years to go "On the road" with my boyfriend, our dog and our new to us RV.  The RV ended up in the shop and we ended up in the Ocala woods.  We had a fabulous gathering this year, and thank goodness for that wonderful experience because we will not be going back this year because there was a forest fire and we feel that the forest needs time to heal.  After Ocala and the RV repairs, we actually left.  And then we broke down again and thought we would never actually leave, but we did.  Stopped in Georgia to visit some friends, stopped in North Carolina to pick up someone else, stopped in Tennessee to pick up another person, broke down in Oklahoma for a week, ran out of gas in Texas, had a nervous breakdown in New Mexico, contemplated stabbing someone in Nevada and finally made it to California.  We stayed in spot for a few weeks with and old friend, but I felt super isolated and we really had nothing to do and had depleted all of our funds.  We took a chance and moved across the state where we ended up staying until December when we had the RV towed again, and that brings us to where we are now.  There were a few weeks in June/July that we went to Montana for the National Rainbow Gathering, and now we are staying in a lovely little cottage with a beautiful view of Knocti and Clear Lake. We have two rooms with two kitchens, two bathrooms, two TV's and it's just about wonderful.  There are six of us here and two dogs and it's fabulous.  I know some people were/are shocked at how I have been living without modern conveniences like heat, running water and in a large communal group, but I think they are just jealous because I get to be free.

Days weren't always great.  There were fights, arguments, complications, waffling, and rude, selfish, demanding people.  The summer was really stupid hot and the winter was miserably cold.  I did miss temperature controlled indoor spaces.  It was a challenge to earn enough money to just provide for our basic needs, but we have been able to provide for ourselves and others.  I tried very hard to ensure the happiness of others, as it seemed as though it was in my job description for the year, but I feel like I have neglected my own happiness in this.  Some people may say something clever here like, "You should really stop and take care of yourself," or, "You didn't really have to do everything for everyone."  However, I have found that I can truly only be happy when the others around me are happy.  I am a sponge.  I have learned that when the people I am around are upset or angry I can't really handle it, in my own head, so I do everything I can to help them and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  At any rate, this year has been a learning experience.
Some things I have learned...
Everything will work out
Effective communication is the most important thing in the world
To ask for help when I need it
Drunk Mark and sober Heather don't really get along
Don't share a small house with six dogs
I am truly a housie at heart.  I like not having to put on boots and two jackets to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night
My car takes a beating and keeps on ticking... with some repairs of course
Being a flatlander makes it really scary to drive out here
I'm really not a big fan of jam bands
I still don't like Kombucha, coconut water or Chai.
I should have put more things in storage for when we return to Florida
Who my true friends really are
and plenty more, but my back hurts from sitting in this weird position while using the computer so I will add more later.


The time that we have spent in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave me a comment, if you don't see it right away then I am not in a location with service.