Thursday, June 11, 2009

Day 3











Day 3 – recovery from day 2 …

This just blows my mind. I’m in New Orleans… not only that, I’m at a cool, old hotel one block from Bourbon Street. Here is how we spent the day. Drove through a million little beach communities in Florida, crossed into Alabama and fount that Bayou Labatre really does exist, crossed into Mississippi and found and amusing t-shirt that we didn’t buy. Crossed into Louisiana and took about a million car pictures. Parked in a horribly expensive parking garage, and carried all our crap across the street to our hotel; The St. Ann-Marie Antionette on Rue Conti. Or as I now know, thanks to C...J., Conti Street. Rue means street in French. We checked in and ran upstairs to shower. Camping is great and all, but we were dirty. Less that an hour later we were out the door to explore the city. We walked up and down Bourbon Street checking out cheesy souvenir shops and grabbing a drink here and there. Then we went to Acme Oyster House. Dude … I ate a pound of Crawfish! I had never had them before and I tore those things up. Yum! The boys had an assortment of things from the sea, cooked in different ways. Raw and grilled oysters, steamed and fried crawfish, gumbo, and I have no idea what else. Totally by coincidence this happened to be where the Man Vs. Food guy ate 15 dozen oysters, so of course these two decided they could totally beat that and we are stopping here on the way back anyway, so it works out. So, after dinner we started out looking for a fun bar, big ass beer, hurricanes and hand grenades. And we pretty much found it all.

After copious amounts of alcohol, Red Wings losing in game 6, lots of fun with my new bartender friend from Mississippi named Victoria, and cool, live New Orleans music, we ventured back out to Bourbon Street. We hit a few more bars for a few more drinks at which point I danced in the street like an idiot, took a bunch of pictures, went to a strip club for old retired strippers (pretty amusing), we headed to a recommended restaurant called Yo Mama. There is only one thing anyone can say … Peanut Butter Burger. C.J. was awestruck by this thing. It was peanut butter and bacon on a hamburger. Apparently this thing was amazing. I had a big ass baked potato with bacon, chives and butter. It was crazy. They we came back to hotel and crashed. We are planning on hitting Oak Alley Plantation on our way to Houston today.

I knew I was going to catch hell for writing this thing, and I was right. We will see how much I actually write from here on out.
Still day 3, 3:15pm. Apparently I am now dubbed Doogie Houser for keeping this captains log, lol. They are so funny. They keep humming the theme song.

We stopped for gas in Arcadia, Louisiana and it was the funniest place ever. Of course I have pictures. The guys had gator sausage and fried oysters and shrimp, and I don’t know what else. This place was awesome. I bought postcards.

I can’t get the air card to work, so I will have to post this when I can. I really wanted to look up gluten free food in Houston, but oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave me a comment, if you don't see it right away then I am not in a location with service.